The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has approved another $2.25 billion in funding for the "e-rate" program to connect classrooms, libraries and communities around the nation to the Internet, the Associated Press reports.
This is the second year in a row the FCC has approved the maximum amount. Vice President Al Gore stated the new funding means a total one million classrooms will be be wired, which in turn helps close the digital divide.
"By connecting all our children to the Internet, we will put a whole new world of knowledge and information at their fingertips," Gore said.
In 1999, 53,000 inner-city schools, 25,000 rural schools and half the nation's public libraries were given discount services under the e-rate (education-rate) program. At least 36,000 applications have been submitted so far this year, totaling $4.7 billion.
Money for the program is raised through telephone user fees. It has been criticized by some consumer groups and lawmakers because they claim it would mean more expensive phone bills for Americans.
In June 1999, FCC Commissioner Harold Furchtgott-Roth said the increase could be as much as $22.50 per household per year. Larry Strickling, chief of the FCC's Common Carrier Bureau, disputed those claims and said the increase would actually be closer to $4 per household. Other funding supporters also said savings on long-distance costs would offset the increase.
The phone-rate hike was not discussed in Thursday's announcement, although the Associated Press did mention the debate.
Full text of the article is currently found at:
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/04/
biztech/articles/14subsidy.html